Food Delivery Platforms in Southeast Asia 2021
About this Report
Although COVID-19 ripped through the world economy, industries like food delivery experienced significant growth instead. As Southeast Asia continues to possess great market potential with high GDP growth and improving business environment, this region has attracted homegrown, regional, and international companies alike to step foot into SEA food delivery business in the last decade. In this report, Momentum Works analyses the evolution of food delivery platforms in SEA in comparison with the major players in bigger markets like the US and China. We provide a comprehensive overview on the underlying factors driving growth, demographic changes, appropriate strategies, and challenges of the food delivery industry in SEA.
Table of Contents
- Executive summary
- Detailed analysis on the current market landscape in Southeast Asia
- Food delivery market & factors for growth in SEA
- Food delivery platforms connect consumers, food services & logistics
- Macro enablers of online food delivery in SEA: growth and urbanization
- Fast adoption of smartphones is a key contributor to this trend
- Food delivery players in SEA emerged in the last decade
- Food delivery in numbers
- Food delivery in the context of overall food services growth in SEA
- Food delivery in SEA grew by an impressive 183% in 2020
- 2020 food delivery GMV reached $11.9b in SEA, with Grab leading
- At a per capita basis, food delivery in SEA is US$20, behind China and US
- Fundamental differences of SEA’s food delivery industry
- Low disposable income means consumption level is still low
- Low food service prices mean players have to capture volume and density
- Fragmented food service market creates more opportunities
- Infrastructure and localisation are critical for food delivery success
- COVID-19 puts temporary strains on players
- Food delivery players strategy
- Profitability is attainable in SEA
- Clear strategy differences between international & local/regional players
- A brief comparison of the three major regional players & business models
- How are the three players meeting consumer expectations
- Meituan’s success in China could be the way forward for players in SEA
- How fast is food consumption growing in Southeast Asia?
- How does economic growth affect demand for food delivery?
- Who is leading in the region?
- How do the strategies differ across the different players?