The Impulso Podcast is hosted by us at Momentum Works, twice a week, every week. Tune in to hear our in-house experts, community and guests unpack the latest trends, undercurrents and lessons in tech across borders. We explore topics like innovation, ecommerce, digital financial services, venture investment, and the broader digital economy. In addition to covering our home base of Southeast Asia and advanced global markets like the US, we also draw extensive lessons from tech companies in China.
This is the first episode in our in-depth series, which will be out every Wednesday at 8am (GMT+8). The episode covers Alibaba; from its nascence as an ecommerce company, to its current status as China’s largest tech conglomerate and recent changes.
Some of the points we cover include:
- Jack Ma’s infamous leadership style and the impact of founders on companies;
- Alibaba’s decision to restructure in to 6 smaller companies, and the context in which that decision was made;
- The layoff “rumours”, and hiring statements that aren’t as contradictory as they may seem;
- A new leadership structure with many familiar faces, and what it means that so many original founding members of the company are willing to step in to new roles;
- What can companies learn from this? Why would such a large company make drastic changes when nothing is “wrong” per se?
You can listen to the podcast here (or find it on any podcast streaming service of your choosing by searching for “The Impulso Podcast”):